Sunday, December 1, 2013

Move along, now.


The snake is eating its tail. I originally wanted to put Chen in dialogue with Bryan’s October 19th post, “Dead Text, Living Text.” I was going to draw some pithy connections between Colebrook and Chen, then transition into problematizing some matters of semantics -- question whether the text need be “‘dead’ in and of itself” if we might instead place it along some spectrum of Chen’s animacy, etc. Maybe remind us all of the couch image since that was rather funny and it lightens the mood a bit etc. Nice clean little blog post to wrap up the quarter and let me get back to my very messy seminar papers.

Unfortunately Bryan has beat me to it (you can’t just respond to your own post, Bryan! That was not in the prompt!) and furthermore he has opened up a can of worms (you can’t talk about how a text makes you feel, Bryan! Save all this empathy and compassion for creative writing™) so stark and scary and honest that I think I need to start digging in the dirt, too.

The reason I don’t like writing these posts about my primary text anymore (sorry John, Janie, Tea Cake) is that there is something about performing this exercise again and again (and again) that sets off that muttering, mumbling little voice about the work of writing about literature.

I’ve heard a thing or two about monotony, about stakes. Everyone in my family does that sort of endlessly repetitive labor that could prompt an existential crisis if they weren’t already so damn tired. Punching holes in course readers until computers learn to do it faster, better. Picking up heavy boxes and putting them down somewhere else. Job-not-a-career-sort-of-work. Your-labor-doesn’t-define-you-sort-of-work. Pack-up-for-the-day-go-home-and-hug-your-kids sort of work. My parents do it. Lots of people do it.

But academia is supposed to be different, right? (This is really a question). There is supposed to be something intrinsically different about knowledge production as opposed to bound course reader production or picking up heavy shit production. When I write up another nice tidy little blog post about Their Eyes Were Watching God and deconstruction I am ostensibly doing labor that is in some sense meant to be outside the production/consumption machine. I’m adding to a body of knowledge. I am contributing to a discourse. One day I will enter the classroom and facilitate the development of critical thinking.

So what is this ruddy work of teasing out arguments about literature? When I finish a seminar paper, am I practicing a craft or just producing my worth? Is it too unprofessional to say that what I find enjoyable about writing papers is the illicit, biased, subjective, creative work of taking someone else’s text and making it speak a certain way? To think alongside an author, but ultimately aim to make a “creative” work of my own, a text with some literary chops of its own?

I want to support the union. I want to understand how TAs are underpaid and adjuncts are wrenched into a broken machine like some underhanded duct tape repair job. But I’m getting paid more right now than my parents ever have to do I-don’t-even-know-what. Am I a producer, a consumer, or a fraud?

So this isn’t really about Janie or Tea Cake or Chen, Colebrook, or Bryan. I just want to know if other people are struggling with the same questions. If nobody is going to read our dissertations, why bother writing them? If the importance of reading literature has something to do with bettering ourselves as people -- getting students to think for themselves, develop empathy, carry that empathy and compassion and search for that disorienting heartfull sort of feeling that reading truly good books gives us -- then why don’t we drop the pretense and focus on teaching? (This is also really a question).

5 comments:

Sarah H said...

Hi Jenny,

You are not alone in these questions. See my comments on Bryan's post;)

Unknown said...

Hi Jenny,

As Sarah said before me, you aren't alone in your questions. I would think that many, if not all, of us have struggled with the question of "why are we doing this?" We've all sat through the job market talks, we've all been asked by advisors or professors, "are you sure you want to do this?" and we've all questioned and hopefully thought through our own answers to that question.

I don't know if I agree that research (writing dissertations, articles, or books, the "ruddy work of teasing out arguments about literature") is a "pretense" as you call it. If you want us to focus on teaching, doesn't conducting research make us better teachers? It forces us to know our texts better, allowing us to give students more ways of thinking about texts and the world. And teaching isn't always about imparting knowledge about certain texts--sometimes it's about teaching people that being an adult often means having to do things that we don't want to do.

Consider college: People don't always take classes because they want to, many times they take it because they have to. Think about our Introduction to Grad Studies course. If we had the choice, I bet not all of us would have taken it, that's probably why they made it a required course. To force you to do something you probably didn't want to do. Many of us didn't want to write a final blogpost, it seemed like another "stunt," as we described it in class and as John Marx acknowledged that it was. But we did it, now its over, now we can "move along" as you titled your post. Life as an academic is going to filled with tasks that you won't want to do, but you have to do them in order to get to work on the stuff that you DO want to work on.

And that point brings me to my final soapbox spout. Speaking as someone who has changed careers, what follows is my personal experience. We all want something out of our careers (whether it's prestige, power, money, a social cohort, a feeling of empowerment, more time with family, less time with family, a feeling of altruism, etc). And we all get something out of our careers, but there is always going to be something that we don't like about our jobs. In that sense, academia is no different from any other "picking up heavy boxes and putting them down somewhere else" sort of job, because NO job is perfect. We all just have to decide what balance between joy and disappointment we are willing to live with. Anyone who tells you otherwise... well as Wesley says in the Princess Bride, is "selling something."

Unknown said...

I'm definitely grappling with these questions. Mainly they emerge as most urgent for me when we talk about professionalization and disciplinarity. I want to say that studying literature / being a humanist has nothing to do (except in traditional formulations of liberal humanist philosophies) with becoming better people/subjects/humans. And for me it's not really about finding value/beauty/truth in texts--partly because I'm not interested in this question, and partly because it feels like an irrelevant one. But I'm also very ambivalent about the idea of "professionalism" here: I think I chose (but this word is problematic and renders lots of factors invisible) to study literature not because of literature per se but because of theory/method. I almost would rather think of what we do / want to do as cultural studies--because I'm often more interested in marginality/subjectivity/subjection and in the politics of our work than the literariness of it. I'm unsure if this is relevant here--but I can tell you I've felt a little sick of my primary text as well because these stunts have me feeling (recognizing?) that my blog posts have little in the way of political utility.

John Marx said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
John Marx said...

Extra points to Lee for Princess Bride references.